Thursday 5 May 2022

A Video a Day for a Whole Year: 365 FRAMES 2015

365 Frames 2015 is an experimental filmmaking project in which I made a video a day for a whole year.

It ran from 1st January to 31st December.


It isn't quite 365 videos, because I skipped a few days, but it is made of 317 videos.

All the videos can be viewed in this playlist...


Alternatively, you can check out the blog website I created for the project.

Not all the footage I shot has been posted online. That would have been a lot of very long daily vids. I shot a lot of footage!

Instead, some of the vids are made up of heavily edited narratives with others just being a presentation of a single or couple of shots from a particular day.

2015 was a very immersive and experimental time for my filmmaking, so my 365 project is very much a representation of that.

In my 365 project, there are many references to other projects I was working on at the time, including The Miracle Mockumentary and the Breaking Cinema Podcast.

I also produced my Cameo microfilms from the footage I shot for my 365 project. In fact, you can view alternative versions of my Cameo microfilms as daily videos I posted.

Original footage...


The two cameo microfilms I produced from it...



I used my 365 project as a sandbox in which to actively play around with my filmmaking style.

My 365 project has a very Avant Garde aesthetic.

Collected here are some of the more standout vids I produced for the project...










People asked if was going to produce a feature length documentary from the footage I shot for my 365 project.

I did toy with the idea, but as a presentation of 'a year of my life' or 'a slice of my life' I don't feel like there is much of a story.

The subject matter gets very repetitive and, while 2015 did end up being a very productive year, nothing came to a definite conclusion at the end of it... so there's no real story resolution for the story of my 2015.

Of course, there is the argument that not having a conclusion is more representative of the story of a year, because how many people reach a conclusion at the end of the year?

Also, after video 200 I started to lose interest in the project... and you can tell.


I think if I was to produce a longer presentation from the videos I produced for my 365 project, it would be based around another theme. 

Maybe even our relationship with screens because that is something that comes up a lot in the 365 videos.


Possibly that is something I might put together at some point. But I can't imagine there would much of an audience for that idea.

I don't know. Maybe it might just be something I do for my own pleasure.

365 Frames 2015 is also the follow-up to my 366 Frames 2012 project in which I took a photo a day for a whole year.


No comments: