Friday 6 May 2022

Random Video Making: How I cut my teeth editing

Editing was a skill I acquired through many years of dabbling and cutting together different bits of footage I had shot. 

I started digital video editing when I was seventeen and the majority of my editing practice was done by cutting together humourous videos of my me and friends. 

The period from 2007 to 2011 was a productive time in terms of my editing output and I really felt like I cut my teeth editing during this period. 

I used Magix Video Editor Pro to edit all my videos during this period

Three key projects I edited were The Better Villain, The Not Even Gay Trilogy and Down A Word: The Story of NEXT FRIDAY.

But outside of these larger projects, I edited together a good number of shorter videos.

Some of these short vids were just bits of footage I trimmed down to make the vids more snappy and interesting to watch. 

However, as my editing skills developed, I got more ambitious and created more dynamic compilation and narrative driven videos.

Some videos even blurred fiction with fact, as can be seen with the many Doctor Who references in my vids. 

I haven't included every random video I made, just the more interesting ones, all in the order in which they were made.


Pirates of the Caravan

This was made from some of the footage shot for Not Even Gay, the first film in The Not Even Gay Trilogy

It was actually the first thing I edited from the footage shot and it went down very well with my friends when I first showed it to them.


The Adventures of Coop and Hammy

This compilation was made because I realised I had quite a bit of footage of these two from various different filmed events. 

Plus, Coops had sent me some phone footage of them clowning around as well, so I very casually edited together this tribute to their double act friendship.


Buckeroo Coops

This one came about after Coops got very drunk at Reading Festival 2009 and fell asleep on my tent. I then proceeded to tie his shoelaces together, he woke up and then hobbled back to his tent with his shoelaces still tied together... and it was one of the funniest things I had ever seen!

Unfortunately, I did not have my camera recording when he hobbled back to his tent. But that was not going to stop me from getting creative to expose the truth. 

Buckeroo Coops is spread across two videos because back in 2009 Facebook would not allow video uploads that were longer than eight minutes. Again, I got a little creative with the split in the videos.

I also made this in the last week before I moved to university to undertake my BA (Hons).


Puke Hard

This was filmed on New Years 2010 and three us played a drinking game called Centurion which is when you drink a shot of alcohol every minute until you reach one hundred. 

Obviously none of us reached one hundred and the video is pretty self-explanatory...


Adios Morocco

I made this video from footage that was shot when one of my university housemates returned home from the airport and informed us that his trip to Morocco had been cancelled because the Spanish had cancelled his plan or something. 

I don't fully remember, I just remember him being pissed, wanting to get very drunk and, well, the rest is a video...


Doctor Who: The Experience

This was made from footage I shot with two friends at the Doctor Who Experience exhibition when it first launched in London. 

I didn't just want to cut together a boring compilation of the footage I shot, so I got quite creative with the final project...


No comments: