Friday 8 May 2020

Ricardo's Cut: AS-Level Media Studies

Ricardo's Cut was an assignment I had to complete for my AS-Level Media Studies course, which I did in 2008. 

Unlike my other A-Levels, I only completed an AS (first year) in Media Studies because I was only allowed to undertake four courses and in my first year I had to re-do my GCSE in mathematics, which took up one of my course slots. By my second year, I had complete my maths GCSE and had a study slot free, so I undertook Media Studies. 

I don't remember enjoying Media Studies all that much. To me (back then), it was just the boring version of Film Studies.

All that remains of the work I produced for Media Studies is Ricardo's Cut.



As you can see, I produced some graphics - a Playstation 2 game cover and a poster - for a fictional game about South American gangster out for revenge. 

I got my friend James to be the model for Ricardo.

I can't remember the specifics of the assignment, but I do remember not spending very long on putting together these two artifacts. 

I remember having fun playing around with the visuals in Google Picasa. Notice how his briefcase has no shadow!

As the inclusion of the Rockstar logo will indicate, the idea for Ricardo's Cut was heavily influenced by the Grand Theft Auto and Max Payne games. 

I had also just discovered The Godfather films about this time, so that Coppola aesthetic played into it as well. 

No comments: