Thursday 1 May 2014

My Creative Identity (for the Fencing documentary)

My Creative Identity was a short reflective exercise I had to complete as part of my documentary studies in the third year of my BA (Hons). 

It was very much integral to discovering my point of view as a filmmaker and greatly informed my approach to making the Fencing documentary.

Overall, I found it a very useful exercise and one that is worth repeating sporadically throughout your life for any number of creative pursuits, because your creative identity evolves.

I present here the summary of my original creative identity...


My Creative Identity Summary

This is actually the third time I’ve gone through Rabiger’s Creative Identity profiler so my answers should be pretty conclusive! I apology if my summary seems a bit abstract, but I felt the best way for me to draw together my creative Identity was through stream-of-consciousness writing.

  • The themes that arise from my self study are visual silence, repulsion against the shackles of boredom, the compartmentalisation of a person, narcissistic appraisal, old in young, young in old, suspicion of structures/institutions/traditions, the paradoxical self, a hatred of complacency, the central drive of anger, a yearning for knowledge and an appreciation of the intellect.
  • The changes for which I want to work are an illumination of the intellect and an understanding of the subtext.
  • The kinds of subject for which I feel the most passionately are one’s that offer self-reflexive viewpoints and that expose the underlying pulse of a situation or establishment. Conflicting ideologies/institutions/temperaments is another area that offers me much intrigue; as does the subject of juxtapositioning completely different ideas to create a result that represents something greater than the original constituent parts, and which forces the spectator to question their own assumptions and beliefs.
  • Other important goals I have in mind are to maintain the visual imperative of telling something that should be told visually and not to be fearful of using a lie to represent the truth. If a film lies then it is only presenting a truth of reality - everyone lies!

No comments: