Friday 6 June 2014

The Miracle of Crowdfunding: Update #2 - Getting the ball rolling and filming it! (07/06/2014)


It was good seeing your yesterday, George. I hope you are recovered - there is much work to be done.



Treatment

On it. It's a coming...



Practice filming - a project that is good to go, sort of

It occurred to me yesterday that I have a project that is ideal for getting a bit of practice filming in - my Masters crowdfunding project campaign video.

I had an initial idea for it a couple of weeks back that was quite ambitious.

Then I scaled it back into something more simplistic that I could create on my own.

Now, or rather last night, I figured out a way of doing it ambitiously and simplistically at the same time. It also transmits the exact message I need it to transmit - it is absolutely bonkers!

The idea is literally about getting out of the box...

On Monday, I am going to very quickly bash out a script that can act as a rough guide for the visuals and a definitive script of what I need to say.

The reason why this is going to be a good practice shoot is because it is going to require a great deal of gorilla style filming in Bath and up at the university. Maybe some in Bristol as well, but I might be able to do the Bristol filming on my own - tell me what you think when you have read the script. 

The video needs to have a ferocity in its film form that can only come from a spontaneous approach to the filming. 

But it does need to have a high stylistic and artistic value - the reason I am not doing my campaign video as a web cam job is because I am asking for funding in a course in which I am going to be doing filmmaking at a premium level - it's all about image.

Additionally, as much as this is campaign video, I want it to stand as an example of our work that we can flaunt.

I will also need help editing it and, again, this needs to be done in a relatively short space of time.

The idea is to have my crowdfudning campaign going while we start to do the initial filming for the doc, so as to take advantage of all the new contacts (and donators) being made through the process of enquiry and filming. It's all about making everything work for everything else.

In terms of when - Thursday and Friday this week and some more filming the following week if necessary. 

It needs to be about 3 minutes, but maybe with some more... I'll send you the script.

If you help me with this, so that I can get funded, AND I will get funded, I will help you fund any further study you may decide to undertake.



The Masters I was telling you about

MA Documentaries and Features




For part-time work

I am deadly serious about this

Jobs at Lovehoney

Based in Bath, it is the UK's biggest and may even be the world's biggest distributor.

The chap who started it up is a graduate of the University of Bath. I was at an Entrepreneurship talk he gave up at our university in December and I was hugely impressed with his personal approach and business acumen - he really does think outside the box!

At the time, he was also saying that he is usually short of warehouse people.

The worst you could do is send them a copy of your CV and an appreciative email.

The whole business has just gone from strength to strength since it was first launched.

I have been keeping an eye on Lovehoney, because the nature of its business does have a strong baring on the web series idea I have been developing.



Contacting the Bath Film Festival

Get on that and get in there! Think long-term...

Anyone can apply to do something and most people do, but the ones who really stand out and gain entitlements are the proactive ones you can think on their feet.



Watching docs and Studying docs

Searching for sugarman, etc., ect., etc...

Don't forget to give the following a read:

Digital Storytelling: The Digital Video Documentary

Look at, read, share anything else you think may be of use.



George's projects

Get on them!

Bring all of your ideas together.

Quickly bash out one outline, put it aside - do this 5 times over.

Take on outline - quickly bash out a script, put it aside - do this 5 times.

Film them ferociously at the same time - use the summer to get all of the footage you need.

Then spend all of final year editing and perfecting them.

Simple.

Technically, my crowdfunding video counts as a project, so now you need to cough up 1, but 6 ideally.



Remember - time is more valuable than money!

I have to work tonight and tomorrow night - that's 20 hours of my life I will never get back.

You're a student (and any graduate will tell you this) - you really do have all the time in the world, more than enough time to get 6 micro films made BEFORE your final year.


No comments: